Monday, 2 March 2009

Hurray for the Riff Raff/Hurrah for nice T-shirts

Just discovered a lovely, lovely band called Hurray for the Riff Raff who hail from New Orleans and their influences include Neil Young, Judy Garland and Drop Dead Fred - that combination of influences alone is amazing.  Coupled with their music it's just beautiful.  They make delicate, folky blues filled with almost heartbreaking rawness; their vocalist, Alynda Lee, sounds constantly resigned yet blissfully serene.  Definitely worth a listen, especially for fans of Laura Marling and Joanna Newsom.  They don't have any music videos yet, so here is a nice little live clip of song 'Bricks' which pretty much says it all:
 
Free MP3 from spinner.com - Hurray for the Riff Raff -'Bricks'
Their album is called 'It Don’t Mean I Don’t Love You' and you can download it HERE or buy it in CD form HERE.  They're currently touring the Southern half of the USA, and if you're lucky enough to be going you can catch them at SXSW.
On a separate note, you may remember back when the Cajun Dance Party album arrived I declared I wanted a T-shirt with the sunflowers from their album sleeve on?  I'm aware you probably don't remember/care but I can pretend.  Well, I have no idea how long it's been around for, as I looked on their website 5 minutes ago for the first time in around 6 months, but suffice to say, my T-shirt now exists!  Presumably the band are currently recording their second album.  So hurrah for T-shirts.  Even if they are £15.

No comments: