Friday, 21 August 2009

Amazing Acoustics: Nirvana

I know, I know - I promise all these awesome new features and reviews then I don't actually do anything about them. How I'm going to fit in all the Mercury reviews before the winner is announced is beyond me, but I will persevere soon. Soon.
Anyway, when I was on the plane home they had lots of different music you could listen to, including a list of albums they called 'Essential Albums'. Personally I didn't get how a Bon Jovi album had made it into the list, but each to their own. Anyway, the 'essential album' that made me smile was Nirvana's fantastic 'MTV Unplugged in New York', and one of my favourites from it is the opener - 'About A Girl', the studio version of which can be found on their 1989 album, 'Bleach' (which is being reissued this year by label Sub Pop in honour of it's 20 year anniversary, read more here).
Nirvana are one of those bands who people perpetually disagree about; some think they're overrated and dislike Cobain's vocals, while some insist on wearing nothing but their ragged Nirvana hoodie emblazoned with the yellow smiley face logo. I'm closer to the latter camp; they used to be one of my favourite bands, and although my musical tastes have since changed my love of the band has not disappeared. I barely listen to them these days though, which means when I do it always makes me ridiculously happy. Sadly I never went as far as buying the hoodie, but there's still time.
However you feel about the band, this is a track worth listening to. It's probably one of the poppiest of their songs so even if you're not into grunge there's still hope you'll love it as much as I do. Cobain's emotions and longing come pouring out so sincerely, straining through his gravelly vocals.
Download the amazing 'The Man Who Sold The Word (David Bowie cover)' - Nirvana, from the same album.
Buy 'MTV Unplugged In New York' HERE. It's an amazing album, and I thoroughly recommend it.

No comments: