Tuesday, 20 October 2009

The Beets

I've been listening to a lot of scuzzy, '60s-eqsue garage recently - notably the Vivian Girls, The Horrors and Black Lips. So, as I'm roughly a year late on the Vivian Girls and have written about the latter two bands fairly recently, I decided to broaden my horizons and search out bands in a similar vein, yet with something notably different to make them actually worth listening to. My search didn't last very long as I almost immediately found The Beets. And no, that's not some crazy abbreviation I made up for The Beatles.
They're from New York (surprise, surprise) and make really sexy, tripped-out, scuzzy punk. If you're into any of the above mentioned bands you should definitely check them out.
Buy their LP, 'Spit in the Face of Those Who Don't Want to be Cool' from here

2 comments:

fadedglamour said...

Good effort Tara but not as good as The Beets from the Doug cartoon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7c3bQQmwVE

(winking smiley) saam x

Tara said...

Saam, I have just spent like 20 minutes on youtube watching Doug-related videos thanks to your reminding me of Doug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt5tR3LWJoM&feature=fvw

I can't believe I ever forgot about Skeeter, Patty Mayonnaise and the rest of the gang!

Thank you. The acapella orignal theme tune is far better than either of The Beets. xx