Monday, 30 November 2009

Oh. my. gosh.

So, this morning I'm listening to the local radio station on the way into school and they're saying they're about to get on the phone to John Giddings - organiser of the Isle of Wight Festival - to find out the Saturday night headliner of the 2010 festival.
I'm not having high hopes at this point - I'm sure it'll be a nice enough line-up (I mean, last year alone I saw some amazing sets - Black Lips, Basement Jaxx, Pixies, Neil Young, ...Will Young) and it'll be an incredible time because pretty much everyone here goes. Except maybe not next year, as the festival may be in the middle of the A-level exams. So maybe it's for the best that the line-up won't be as great as it could be, as there's that possibility I won't end up going.
Anyway, Giddings gets on the line and opens with some typical lines about being really excited about the act, and to be honest I'm not all too giddy in anticipation - he said something similar about Stereophonics last year (who are decent, but kinda boring?).
And then he says it. And I figure I'm dreaming, cos it's quite early and I'm not fully awake yet and maybe I'm still asleep/I heard what I wanted to hear. There's no way this band are coming to the Isle of Wight. One of my favourite bands, ever, who I've never had the chance to see live actually coming to the obscure island on which I live.
But unless this is some cruel joke, it's really true. Making their UK Festival comeback in their first live show announced since 2006 (I think), The Strokes will be playing the 2010 Isle of Wight Festival.
Add to this Jay Z, Blondie and Pink among others, plus many, many more acts yet to be announced, I can safely say that it's going to be an AMAZING weekend. And having checked out the provisional exam timetable I might only have one exam afterwards, and if I don't camp and only go see the acts I want to see then I'm thinking this could work.
Thank you, John Giddings. Thank you.
Now to work on some master plan to get backstage...
The Isle of Wight Festival is taking place from Friday 11th - Sunday 13th of June. Tickets are on sale from this Friday (4th December), go on the website to find out more. I am so excited. Maybe see you there!

2 comments:

Hanan said...

I am the fucking walrus this is awesome.

Tara said...

Coo-coo-ca-choo, Hanan. They're BAAACK :D