Thursday, 7 January 2010

"Winter kept us warm, covering Earth in forgetful snow"

There's something really surreal about the world when it's been snowing. Everything seems to go oddly quiet, you suddenly understand what it means for the air to be "crisp", the sky turns white with tinges of this glassy grey, pink and purple, and everything's covered in this white blanket that makes it hard to remember what things normally look like - there's a Noah and the Whale lyric which says something along the lines of, "when the wild was all covered in snow, I forgot the colours that the grass tends to glow". It probably wasn't meant for deep contemplation, but I do find it really difficult to remember the exact shade of green the grass is in my garden when it's all blanketed white. I like the word "blanket" when it comes to snow, I don't really know why.
Although in terms of getting anywhere it's a bit annoying, I do love the snow. It looks really beautiful, and it paints the landscape in this way that you never normally see it. So yes. I am liking the snow days.
Weird, sleepy babbling post over.
"the trouble with dreams, they're not what they seem, cos when you awake they fall through your fingers in flakes"
Buy both of the Mystery Jets' albums here, they're easily among my favourite of the last decade.
Photo credit: Oblivion Head

No comments: