Wednesday, 15 December 2010

Spanish Sahara

It's getting to that time of year where everyone makes lists of their favourite tracks and albums of the year, and as ever I won't be partaking in the tradition - not that I object to people organising their thoughts about the musical year in that way, just I'm lazy and not big on list-making.

However, a brief look at the lists of best tracks that are floating around made me want to write about Foals' sublime 'Spanish Sahara' solely because I never did get around to writing about 'Total Life Forever' but I meant to - I very much liked it. While the whole evocative, intense album certainly deserves you going to listen to it if you haven't already, this song was the first anyone heard from it, and is rightfully the stand-out track - and as ever with songs by Foals, it has a stunning video:



It's so wonderfully tender; so devastatingly, heart-stoppingly beautiful.  That 'Spanish Sahara' is from the same Foals responsible for that incredible, jerky math-rock was such a strange surprise, because this song has elements of that sort of sound, especially towards the end, but as a whole it's far more...intimate?  I think that's the word I'm looking for.  It's one of those shiver-inducing songs that just goes beyond description - musically completely lovely and a little bit hazy and tripped-out.

Lyrically too - "I'm the ghost in the back of your head", "Now I see you lying there, like a lilo losing air", and all the Mistah Kurtz-eque mentions of "the horror" in the vocals that don't shout demandingly like in 'Hummer' but almost whisper frailly, sincerely.  Just wow.

I got this live version a couple of months ago, and it's perfect; have a listen.

MP3: 'Spanish Sahara' (Live) - Foals

Buy 'Total Life Forever' here.

P.S. you'll note I'm refurbishing the blog - bear with me...

No comments: