Thursday, 14 April 2011

'Sorry I Took So Long'

Seems a relevant title for my ever-sporadic posting, but it's also the title of the My Panda Shall Fly debut EP that came out at the beginning of this week.

I'm not normally a big listener of this kind of music - cool, jittering, atmospheric electronica/bass - and as such it initially proved to be an uneasy listen, in the sense that I never felt entirely comfortable or able to immerse myself in it.  But then I realised I was listening to it during the daytime, and discovered that at night it transforms, and becomes a weird, slow yet frenetic, exciting and intense jungle creature of an EP - fitting perhaps, as Suren Seneviratne, the man behind MPSF, hails from London via Sri Lanka.  There is certainly a sort of vivid allure and richness to the sounds on show here, and it's all pretty dazzling somehow.

If you're looking for something a bit different and perhaps something of a challenge (I'm assuming if you read this blog we have pretty similar musical tastes), I'd recommend checking this one out.  You might not enjoy it 100%, but there's plenty of sounds and styles to be appreciated here.

'Sorry I Took So Long' is out now on Growing (Wichita Recordings).  

No comments: