Tuesday, 24 May 2011

"I'm just a Song and Dance Man"

Today is Bob Dylan's 70th birthday.  In his lengthy career he's constantly been a source of controversy, constantly subverted expectations, at times seemed a little bit weird, and in spite of all this - or perhaps, because of it - he is somewhat of a legend.  It's cliché to say his lyrics are poetry, it's unoriginal and uninteresting to say I like his earlier work (everything from the '60s) better, but I don't feel like there's any point lying about my opinions.  In those earlier albums I also like his voice, even though the general consensus is "lol Bob Dylan can't sing", but I personally think the vocals suit his songs.  I have less interest in his newer work because I'll admit his voice now is too croaky for me, but that at 70 he's still making stuff with his raspy voice and still out touring wherever he pleases, with little interest in how anyone else perceives his actions is all pretty awesome.

Happy birthday, man.

MP3: 'It Ain't Me Babe' (Bob Dylan cover) - Fleet Foxes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 1000% about his earlier songs being super. A pity you had to use a cover version.

Tara said...

Yeah I know, unfortunately if I'd used an actual Dylan version this post would probably have been taken down. Glad you agree though!