Saturday, 11 June 2011

"As if every thought that tumbles through your head was so clever it would be a crime for it not to be shared."

So, I'm on the Isle of Wight but not at this weekend's festival.  How's that going for me?  Well, let's just say for all I've brushed off Kings of Leon's newer songs, it was still fairly bleak hearing their music drifting over the fields through my open window last night; 'Knocked Up' sounded particularly good.



To distract myself I watched 'The Social Network' again for the first time since I saw it at the cinema (yes I'm pretending to be a film blog again), expecting to be disappointed; after the cinema I was singing endless praises about the film to a friend of mine and she'd thought it was "pretty good" but not as all-out amazing as I was painting it, so I thought maybe I'd exaggerated it.  But months later, I think I liked it even more last night - you pick up on so much more the second-time around, the incredible details both visually and script-wise and the heartbreaking falling-apart of the friendship between the brilliant Eisenberg and Garfield and it's just... wow.

The soundtrack in general has rightfully been the subject of much praise, and on top of Ross and Reznor's brilliantly ambient compositions the use of 'Baby, You're a Rich Man' (one of my favourites on 'Magical Mystery Tour') at the end is wonderfully executed.  But a very magical music-related moment has to be the trailer itself, which is easily one of the best trailers I've ever seen.  The choral version of Radiohead's 'Creep' is just beautifully evocative here, and I love the way the lyrics fit so well with the theme - "I want you to notice, when I'm not around", as someone types in "where are you?" on a Facebook page.

So whatever to Kings of Leon, and then Pulp tonight and all the other exciting acts playing down the road from me this weekend.  I'm watching films so good that I can't really articulate my feelings more eloquently than just writing "wow", which is at least a lot better than sitting around moping listening to the hazy sounds of the Isle of Wight Festival.  There's lots more I could say about this film, but I'll refrain because I suspect we're all better off if I actually write about music in the future. 

MP3: 'Creep' (Radiohead cover) - Scala and Kolacny Brothers

Buy 'The Social Network' from here, and the Academy award-winning soundtrack from here.

No comments: