Sunday, 24 July 2011

Amy Winehouse

It's weird that I wouldn't necessarily have called myself a huge Amy Winehouse fan in spite of the fact I saw her live twice (first time, amazing; second time; completely out of it), loved all of the music that I heard from her, was full of praises for that voice and even dressed-up as her once for a fancy dress party. Which is maybe why for me her death at 27 is such a shock (I suppose I didn't really realise how much I liked her until yesterday) even though everyone is being like "oh, well, we could all see it coming, couldn't we?".  Yes, the poor girl had a lot of troubles and addictions, but given that everyone knew that, it just seems horrible that in this day and age there was still nothing that could be done.  No, even though they knew about her issues, instead of being in anyway helpful the paparazzi constantly hounded her for any possible story to chart her breakdown because gruesome, tragic stuff like that is what sells.

It sounds like such a clich├ęd thing to say, but it is such a waste of an incredible talent, and I think it's a real shame that for the short time she was in the limelight not enough of that time was spent making music; two albums when she had so much potential is really sad.

Anyway, I'm not really sure what else to say.  Sorry if this is too sincere or whatever, but I'm not about to be one of those really hilarious people whose Facebook status is along the lines of "lololol maybs she should have gone to rehab". I sometimes hate that I'm from a generation where everything has to be "ironic".

I'm going to embed the 'Back to Black' video because it's...disturbingly appropriate, but I'm also linking to a video of the Billie Holiday (the brilliant singer who many feel Winehouse modelled herself on) version of 'Gloomy Sunday' because I just think it's fitting in a jarring kind of way.



Regardless of your personal views on her lifestyle, I maintain Amy Winehouse was a supremely talented singer and she paved the way for real music in the mainstream in an age where everyone else seemed to rely on auto-tune.  She was something of an icon.  Rest in peace.

Recommended reading: Russell Brand on Amy Winehouse and addiction in The Guardian

1 comment:

Majid Ali said...

Please for Christ sake please help me
I need your help and support to help PAY MY Tuition Fees. I need your only 3 to 5

minutes approximately

What you have to do is
1.go to Google.com and search "Kwotz-Golden Words of Life"
2.then visit my blog from the the search results.
3.Remain on the page i.e Kwotz for one minute or so and do some random surfing
4. click ONE of the ads that appeals to you from AdChoices and visit there.
5.remain on that page for one minute or so and do some random surfing.
and that's it.

NOTE: Only ONE click is needed.
I will be grateful to you.
May God Bless You.